Thursday, February 17, 2011

Spring Is Just Around the Corner!

Today is a BEAUTIFUL day in Pittsburgh.  The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and I smell SKUNK!  That means spring is just around the corner and soon we will be in store for produce galore!

I had some strawberries in my fridge that I picked up for a decent price around Valentines Day and I needed to make use of them.  Nothing screams spring and summer more than strawberry shortcake!  I love strawberry shortcake and so do my wee ones so I decided to make some.

I started out by making a simple dough recipe with a stick of margarine, flour, salt, baking powder, and hint of vanilla-sugar.




You cut the flour into the dry ingredients making pea-sized bits of flour and butter.   I added about 3/4 cup of soy-milk to the dough and dug my hands right into the dough until it was ready to roll out on a floured surface.  Now, the biscuits will rise a little bit, but you need to make them about 3/4 inch thick to be the consistency you want for strawberry shortcakes.  You roll this out and then you can use a biscuit cutter to cut out round circles but I'm inventive so I used a peanut butter jar lid....



You put the biscuits in a 425 degree oven for about 10 mins.  I sprinkled them with a little bit of vanilla-sugar.



Into the oven my pretties.....


Then I got started with the strawberries.  I used the best of the best and sliced them up real nice and sugared them:






The baby couldn't wait to have some.  Neither could her pony-friends:




Anxiously awaiting shortcakes for our tea-party.....




And out they came golden brown and moist. 

So I hear I sit with the window open, enjoying my little taste of spring; and hopefully this will take me until I see those little crocuses and tulips poking out of the earth to greet me with another six months of warmth!



No comments:

Post a Comment